Header Ads Widget

Ticker

6/recent/ticker-posts

Holiday Decor

I got an overwhelming amount of requests to do a holiday decor post. So today's the day. Truthfully, I personally don't decorate much. My apartment is already filled to the brim and any type of clutter drives me insane. 

Don't get me wrong, I love Christmas and holiday decor and all of that. I don't mean to sound like a Grinch. But at this stage in my life, it's just not something I feel like putting the time, money, and energy into. Luckily my parents live 15 minutes away and I'm able to enjoy the wonderful decor and decorating traditions there. I'm also surrounded by beautiful scenes downtown. Everywhere I turn there is something festive and bright!

While I don't really go all out, I do a few small touches to get into the spirit! I put a sprig of mistletoe up. I just love that festive little touch. I change out hand towels in the bathroom and cocktail napkins in my living room to festive ones like these! I add holiday-themed candy to my dishes (I have several dishes spread around my living room... what can I say, I love candy). I add tartan ribbon to my blue and white ginger jars to give a festive vibe! And I'm all about the holiday candles, this one in particular. 

One thing I did last year (which is my favorite), is that I got these candle lights for the windows. My mom does this in all of the windows at home around the holidays. They have an automatic sensor so they just turn on automatically when it starts to get dark. The glow that they give off is so wonderful and cozy. The light that they give off is similar to a lit up Christmas tree. I ended up leaving them up all year round. It's nice to come home to my living room warmly lit and looks pretty from the window! You need to get replacement bulbs after about a year. I got these and just recently replaced a few of the bulbs!

I also have some of the Spode Christmas glassware and plates/bowls/etc. (you can sometimes find pieces at Homegoods!) that I like to use. I also have adorable monogrammed plaid cocktail napkins! And for a centerpiece on my coffee table, I usually do some sort of very small tree, like this.  I also love to get the red berries in bunches that Trader Joe's offers around the holiday season. It adds a festive touch to any room and they last a lot longer than fresh flowers. 

So those are just my little decor tweaks that I do around this time of year. Nothing super creative or amazing, but it does the trick in my small apartment!

I love that my parents go all out with the house inside and out. If I had a home, my personal preference would be less is more. I don't love glitter or cheesy figurines. I don't really love sparkly pillows or faux fur decor. I like traditional tartans, plain white string lights, a plain wreath with a pretty grosgrain bow, strands of garland, and classic red and green. My overall decor style is very traditional and I think that really stays the same around the holidays, too. I will say, there are a few kitschy things I appreciate. My mom has an old ceramic Christmas tree with peg lights (looks similar to this). It's a little cheesy, but she made it when she was younger and I think there's something so special and vintage looking about it.

As far as a tree goes, we always decorate ours the Sunday after Thanksgiving while watching the Steeler game. My mom doesn't let us help with the lights- that's her domain, but we all unwrap the ornaments and hang them one by one. I personally love a tree filled with sentimental ornaments (no themes). My friend Aly and I have started giving each other ornaments on occasions because we want to start our own collection. Growing up, my aunt gave us an ornament every year. It's so fun to look back on all of them and remember what meaning they hold. My dad tops the tree with the angel that my parents have had since the first year they were married (he's the only one tall enough to reach!).

Scroll through above and below to see some of my favorite things I've found for holiday decorating. If I had a larger space to decorate, I'd definitely be incorporating these pieces into my home!

More Decor Favorites:

Yorum Gönder

0 Yorumlar